Monday, January 23, 2017

Stonefields - a new beginning


"Gateau de St Honore" block 1 of 2.

This block best depicts the theme of my Stonefields quilt.
I've chosen a 1930's Farmhouse theme. My goal for this quilt is to look like a true Scrap quilt that could have been made by a Homestead/Farm wife during the Great Depression.

I'm using reproduction fabrics in plaid, floral, geometric, feedsack, shirtings and children's novelty prints. These were fabrics popular/available in the United States from 1910 thru the 1930's.


"Gateau de St Honore" block 2 of 2
I'm calling this one my Parade of Bunnies.

This 2nd block is more reflective of fabrics from 1910 thru perhaps 1925. The fabrics of 1910 - 1920's were more pastel. Blue on White diaper prints and stripes were also very popular at this time. Colors became bolder and brighter again during the 1930's.


"The Stars" blocks 1 thru 4 of 4
These represent floral prints from the 1920's and 1930's.


"Pomegranate" blocks 1 and 2 of 2

These are both the same size, I just blew one up bigger for you to see the Bunny background. There are 13 blocks assigned for Month #1. I've completed 8 so far and am hopeful to have the final 5 ready to post by next Monday.

The Stonefields quilt is very Cheerful.
I'm enjoying the Play dates I've set aside to work on these.
I hope you are finding Joy in your Stitch work as well!

every quilt tells a story...

26 comments:

  1. These Blocks are just the CUTEST !!!!!
    Love the 30's prints you are using !

    HOW FUN !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colour selections! I have the all the patterns and a project box filled with lovely soft fabrics and even a few backgrounds cut all sitting there daring me to actually start the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stonefields is an interesting quilt. I love the thought behind each of your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty fabrics. You're going to have a very happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bunny circles are cute as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great start! Love the fabrics you are using! The bunnies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great new start!!
    I love it,...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful start on your new project.
    I like the bunny circle block and I love the 1930 fabrics.
    Best wishes Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, Doreen, You're starting the Stonefield Quilt ? How lovely ! And I really LOVE your choice of fabrics and the way you want feel like... I'm sure you're gonna make a treasure with that beauty !
    I've been drooling around that pattern, pondering if I'd buy it - it's quite expensive for me (although I admit it deserves the money)... Yet I must stay reasonable, no matter the wish to make it.

    Wishing you lots and lots of blissful stitches, Doreen :)

    XOXOXO
    NADINE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow! Wonderful beginning. Love the shirting, the bunnies, it all looks so happy :) I especially like that green star! Thanks for sharing this and letting us along for the ride on this great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Parade of Bunnies is so cute--you are going to have lots of fun with this project! I can't wait to see the next batch of blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always find the most wonderful projects to work on. I love the Parade of Bunnies. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the thirties prints--going to be an awesome quilt

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous new start.Those blocks are stunning,love them all and your fabric combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What delightful fussy cutting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All those bunny prints just made me smile. Those fabrics are happy and almost child like. They're going to work perfectly in this pattern and be fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a fun new project. The blocks really are cheerful. Your fussy cut circles are just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not seen this quilt but can tell it is going to be quite adorable. I have loved circles ever since doing numerous ones for the Beyond the Cherry Trees and have always loved stars. Can't wait to see your progress on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no! I wasn't at all tempted by this quilt until now. These are wonderful! My heart always skips a beat with Depression era fabrics. So sweet! I would love to send you some 30's pieces for this. Can you send me your mailing address?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my Reen, what beautiful quilting you have on the go. I have the Stonefields patterns, have taken it out and looked at it but feel a little daunted by it. I've started a Jen Kingwell instead but I will love to see your Stonefields take form. Your Dear Jane is a dream. Such inspiration here in your blog for folks like me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I have followed Stonefields as it was going on 'across the pond' over the years ; such fun to see that you are embarking on it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, those Gateau de St Honore blocks are just ADORABLE! You have picked just the perfect fabric for them - they remind me of macarons. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will have some fabrics for you when you are in Holland! And a kangaroo for your stonefields aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG! This is a wonderful stonefields. Kudos! Perfect! Your fabrics are wonderful and will capture perfectly you vision for the 1930's farm wife using her pieces of this and that fabric. I so look forward to seeing its development!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...