Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Farmer's Wife revisited....


ANN - her friends called her Little Irish Annie.

She wrote about being born ugly and growing up plain and homely.
Despite this she grew up happy and married well by being endowed with a good sense of humor and common sense.
I chose a conversation print with happy little frogs for this block. It's far from perfect, but I am happy with it just the same. (grin)


NAN - she lost her son at age 16.
"Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted".

I changed the cross a bit and chose a shirting fabric with blue stars to represent the heavens. I am dedicating this block to my younger brother Daniel who passed away suddenly a year ago. He was a kind, charitable, loving man and is greatly missed by all that were blessed to have known him.

It's been a while since I've worked on blocks for my Farmer's Wife 1930's quilt. Honestly, I didn't like the rushed feeling of making 8 blocks each month.
I'd rather savor the stories and stitch each block with more purposeful sentiment.
After all, it isn't a race - but a journey to enjoy.

every quilt tells a story....

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful blocks. The little frog on the fabric is very cute.
    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and what a lovely journey it is. Your conversational fabrics are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded that I have a bit of that froggy fabric stashed, you have put yours to very good use :) The cross is beautiful and such a wonderful dedication to your brother. My husband's younger brother passed away several years ago at 24. I have a start to a wedding quilt I was making for him, someday I hope to be able to finish it, still too painful right now, and possibly gift it to my mother in law if she will receive it. Quilting can be such a healing art. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute frog fabric for the Ann block. I think your block came out Awesome !

    The cross block is a Wonderful dedication to your brother

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you are correct it is not a race and each project should be enjoyed. I like that the farmer's wife was happy had a good sense of humor and common sense--we should all want for such qualities

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some wonderful blocks and the Nan block is most special. Taking the time to enjoy the process is what it is all about. (I must be having a ton of fun...LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful frogged print and you've used it in a great little block. You're right, it's not a race to get a lot done. It's a good reminder to enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said Doreen, savor every day and stitch with love.
    Your projects reflect your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh the frogs....love them :) What lovely blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree,no rush,enjoying what you are sewing.Those blocks are spectacular.Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great blocks....sure love the little froggies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love those frogs! Wonderful blocks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blocks. I've slowed down my Farmer's Wife too. I'm making them the potholder method, as I've recently learned about that method from Wendy Canton Reed's blog. Nothing wrong with slow n steady. Recently bloggers are becoming overwhelmed with loss of sewing time, which has happened to me too. That's just life. Kids grow up, life changes, hopefully things calm down.....haha. Now I'm older, retired, and now have forever...... still don't get things done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...