Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sarah Fielke

I am just beginning the Sarah Fielke BOM.
This wonderful program began in February.
I'm a little late to the party - well sort of but not really!

5 years ago I did not make a Jubilee quilt to commemorate my 50th birthday.
I was pleasantly distracted that year by the upcoming birth of my first grandchild.
Today is my birthday and this is the quilt project I have chosen to mark the journey of my 55th year. I love piecework and applique and this quilt has both.

I am using a collection of Cotton Lawn fabrics, something I've never sewn with before. They have a beautiful hand/feel to them.
I'm sprinkling in a few batiks in shades of coral & pink because they work well with these thinner lawns. (and because I love this color combination)

We are to make a total of 24 Star blocks over the next 10 months.
I've chosen to make 6 each of the blocks shown below.
All of the fabrics are cut for these stars, just not sewn together yet.

If I manage to catch up and stay on task, I will have this quilt top completed 2 months before my next birthday.

every quilt tells a story....

22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Doreen, hope you are spoilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful way to commemorate your Jubilee + 5. Your color combo is sweet and the birds you've included in the centers are fantastic. Was that a batik? Have fun celebrating. Happy B- Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 55th!
    The bird fabrics you are using are a wonderful addition to the quilt blocks. Really a delightful focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Very pretty blocks Doreen! lovely that you have joined up too :) Are you machine or hand piecing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first couple of blocks look like the Pantone colors of the year (very pretty), but I am sold on this quilt not only for the stars but for the birds, too. I love them both and to see them together makes it a winner in my book. Happy birthday girl!! Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday and I LOVE the fabrics and combos you are using for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Doreen.
    I like your blocks and fabrics.
    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blocks and they will make a beautiful quilt. Wishing you a Happy Birthday. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Doreeen. What a fabulous way to commemorate your birthday, doing something you love and having it last all year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Your blocks are gorgeous--everything is better with a bird on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, Doreen! Your quilt will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a Birthday...hope it was the best. Your blocks are gorgeous 'Reen. Love all the fussy cut birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday sweet friend! What absolutely luscious fabrics! This one will tel a heartwarming story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday! You've selected a nice quilt in honor of your 55th.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful birthday journey gift to yourself and those fabrics are beautiful; soft and dreamy looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful birthday journey gift to yourself and those fabrics are beautiful; soft and dreamy looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Doreen ! What a beautiful quilt to celebrate your 55th birthday. The colors are so soft and the birds are just adorable . You know how I just love birds in quilts :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday!! These blocks are just so pretty and will make such a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your fussy cut circles for the Liberty Tree look oh so good. I don't know that I would have thought of that. I was looking at the Shenandoah blog just now and saw the creativity people have used. I would not have thought of yo-yo's for the circles but they work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OKay - I'm totally in love and lust of your bird theme for this SAL!!!
    What a great quilt and it will be so fun to work on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...