Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Liberty Tree Show & Tell for SVBAQ


This is my Liberty Tree of the United States block for the Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Sew Along. (SVBAQ)

Each of the "apples" on the tree represents a State in our country's Union in 1858. A total of 35 Apples/States. Esther Blair Matthew's created this block to voice her pride and patriotism for her country.


I enjoyed fussy cutting most of the apples that I stitched onto my Liberty Tree.

My thoughts would wander back to Esther as I stitched this block. The country she loved was unraveling, there were rumors and rallys in her state and in others beckoning countrymen to seek succession from the Union.

Although women did not voice opinions of politics during this time, Esther's block spoke clearly of her political view and love of country.





There are a lot of fabulous Liberty Tree blocks submitted already this month for Show & Tell. To see them all - please stop by the SVBAQ Sew Along blog HERE.

every quilt tells a story.....

18 comments:

  1. Wow, wonderful this block.
    The fussy cut circles are great.
    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fussy cutting of the FG fabric just makes that block have a totally different look from the others that I have seen. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous use of fabric! A beautiful block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the block, perfect fussy cutting. This is going to be an interesting quilt...almost half way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you have fun with your French General's ?! Gorgeous apples! I won't be doing this block but might just be regretting it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your block is beautiful! I am not making this one for my version but I am sure enjoying seeing everyone else's interpretation of this block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fussy cutting. Lovely block Aunt Reen. Are you hand appliqueing or machine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. no kidding....your's is my favorite. Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful--absolutely beautiful--love the fussy cutting

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your Liberty Tree block with all the fussy cut apples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love your fussy cutting on the circles!!! Fabulous block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful block - the fussy cutting on the circles really does enhance the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness - look at those wonderful circles in French General fabric! Wondered what the Liberty Tree block signified - what a fascinating story this quilt has to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fussy cutting. This quilt is going to be so stunning in your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this fun berrie tree - your fussy cutting are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a stunning block Doreen !! All of those French General fabrics are just perfect for the apples .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...