Friday, October 2, 2015

October Previews...

It's the 2nd of October, the start to a new month of activities.
Here is a preview of my first Dutch Treat block for October.
The block is called Cottage and as you can see it's still under construction.
I've had numerous requests to show /explain how I am making these little blocks.
I trace the design on the background fabric, lay it on top of my print fabric and baste the 2 layers together with thread.

Next, I will cut away the background to reveal the image/print fabric.
I needle turn the edges under along my drawn lines. Lately I prefer marking the fabric lightly with a mechanical pencil, but the lines don't show up well in pictures. So here I'm using a wash away pen.

My 2nd activity for the month is of course the Botanical Album Sew Along.
Here is a preview of my 3 Pineapple blocks.


Only 1 block is posted each month, but there are 3 pineapple blocks in the quilt.
Because I'm working on 2 quilts, I've decided to get all of my French Vintage version completed now. You can see the full versions of these over at the SVBAQ Sew Along blog.

every quilt tells a story...

18 comments:

  1. you better hurry up with that cottage as it's getting colder now and you'll want to get inside soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, is your cottage like in reverse applique?? sort of?? All of those Dutch treat blocks are simply lovely...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pineapple blocks ar GORGEOUS! Of course you know how much I LOVE French General fabric ;-)

    Thank you for sharing your reverse appliqué !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I marvel at how much you manage to get done with your busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting process for the Dutch Treat blocks. Takes patience for sure.

    I love your pineapple blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got a great start to the month. I really like the look of French General fabric in the antique pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So is that reverse applique and do you find that method more accurate. Love you blocks as usual. As for the pineapple blocks.....what can I say....I LOVE French General. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful progress on your WIPs.
    Have a nice weekend, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great progress.This block looks a little tricky for me.Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the demo on how you do reverse applique....you make it look soooo easy...but I know better! :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing your process. I also always love to see you DJ quilt on the side bar. It is such a stunning version.
    Hooray - a new grid to watch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Wish I could applique as well. Enjoying your progress on both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your pineapple blocks very much. The French General fabrics work well.
    I had not thought about what applique technique you were using for the Dutch blocks. Is that what the book recommends. I think it is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those pineapple blocks are over the top - I am weakening - just to have that pattern in my hands and follow along. Love your choice of French Generals. Question for you - how do you find those great quilt layout grids to show your progress on various project - so fun to watch the blanks fill in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great start with your pineapple blocks. What program do you use to make the graph of your quilt blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great start with your pineapple blocks. What program do you use to make the graph of your quilt blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such pretty blocks with all of your projects! It's fun to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...