Sunday, July 20, 2014

July's 3rd Sunday finish

Happy to say that I've finished my very first block of Noah & Matilda!
I worked on it for an hour or so each evening this 3rd week of July.
The original block was created with green stems and green center buds for the tulip-like flowers. After the stems were stitched down, something compelled me to use deep saffron yellow for the center portion of the tulip flowers.

My intention is to respectfully recreate the quilt with color placement as similar to the original as possible. However, I have a finite personality quirk at times - so there may be 1 or 2 blocks in the quilt that deviate from the original color scheme.

The majority of this block was sewn via needle turn applique. For the basket section - I created freezer paper templates of the triangles and machine stitched the pieces and sections together. Once completed, I stitched the pieced basket onto the block - needle turning the outside edges under.

It's already apparent that this quilting journey is going to be a joyful one for me....
Red & Green quilts make my heart SING, but there is something I find especially endearing about this quilt.

every quilt tells a story...

14 comments:

  1. Oh I love those saffron centers! I think they make the red/green really sing. Such a lovely block...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful ! thanks for showing your process for this block - quite a fiddly little basket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very pretty block! I like those colors together! That basket looks difficult though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, so pretty! Is it as small as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite colors. Beautiful basket and a lovely block!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is going to be a beauty! I like the addition of the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely block.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the saffron centers! I appliquéd my red triangles on...so fun to see the pieced basket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're off to a wonderful start. That yellow just gives it a pop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice fabric choices. I too think this is a special quilt. I enjoy working on the small blocks. What’s your thought on this months grapes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable basket block ! Love the saffron yellow you used and the paper piecing for the basket is Amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're starting another applique quilt?!! I commend you; and I love the saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those flowers look beautiful with their golden centers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...