Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Evening Stitch progress for the week

I chose "Dutch Treat" as my evening stitch project this week.
Happy to say that I completed 4 of these petite blocks!
The book patterns are 4", mine are 5". (just slightly larger than my Jane blocks)
I want the quilt to lay nicely on top of a Queen size bed when it's finished.

The blocks are hand stitched using a method called Cut-Away or Reverse applique'. A pre-marked background fabric square is basted on TOP of a print fabric square. They start out looking like this:

As you cut away the background fabric, then turn the raw edges under and stitch along the marked lines - the pattern emerges from behind. These blocks can become addictive to sew.

I hope your week was wonderful!

every quilt tells a story...

15 comments:

  1. These blocks are Gorgeous ! What a unique way to applique . Congrats on finishing all 4 of these blocks this week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting. I'm in now doubt they can become addictive to sew. Your four blocks are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...I may have to try that someday, it looks like fun :) Pretty results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blocks Doreen. I've never seen this applique' method before but I can understand how it would become addictive. You were very creative this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, and yes - sounds like an addictive size. Thanks for showing the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice!!! I can see that it would be a fun project to do in front of the tv, which is were we are in the evenings!!! A lot more fun than playing those silly games on our smart phones!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning blocks.Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Doreen...this will be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks looks fantastic. I like your colours and fabrics.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty fabrics. I used to have the Dutch Treat book but never made anything from it. I gave the book to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are gorgeous and the batik fabrics are beautiful. Do you have a book with all the patterns or is it a BOM somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Doreen. Those are lovely. It almost has a water color or stained glass look. I've not tried reverse applique yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blocks, Doreen! I recently bought this book, but didn't know that it was reverse applique, now I like more! Congratulations also for your birthday, hope to be a great year and your wishes come true! A hug!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool! I haven't done much reverse applique.

    ReplyDelete