Friday, January 10, 2014

Evening Projects for 2014

2014 is going to be a busy and exciting year of quilting for me.
Teaching, writing and sewing is now my full time job - really FUN!
So what does a full time quilter do to relax when not working????
I've decided to pamper myself in the evening with handwork!

I can't think of a more enjoyable way of spending time sitting with the Mr. while watching tv. To make it interesting, I've chosen 4 quilts to work on. Each week I will rotate the project assignments.

Dutch Treat - I've pulled this one out of the archives. It was intended to be my applique' project of 2012. These little 5" blocks are made using assorted white on white backgrounds. 90% of the blocks will be made from the "Waterlilies" mixed colored batik fabric. I've sprinkled in just a few green and purple batik blocks for interest. The applique' method is needle turned Reverse or Cut-Away applique'.

Sarah's Revival - I started this project in spring of 2013 and as you can see, I didn't get very far. These blocks finish at 10.5" and are made using assorted red batiks against a cream on cream print background. My applique' method of choice for this quilt is chalk marked, top basted, traditional needle turn applique'.

Benjamin Biggs Wedding Quilt - this is a new (and free) BOM project for 2014. You can click on the Just Takes 2 link on my right side bar for more details. These blocks finish at 16". Rather than follow the traditional Red & Green variation, I've decided to make this quilt using Kona "bone" for my background and reproduction fabrics in assorted purples, tan, grey and olive green. My applique' method of choice for this quilt will be "quick prep" freezer paper basting and hand applique'. Below are my fabrics and just a glimpse at the start of block 1.

Garden Walk - another NEW project, this one is wool applique'. The entire quilt finishes at 14.5" square. My very skilled friend Laurie helped me pick out the fabrics for this project. It will be my first attempt at making a wool quilt.

It is highly unlikely that I will reach completion of these this year, but I look forward to the journey just the same.
Do you like to stitch in the evening hours? If so.......

May your dreams be Sweet and your Quilts be Dreamy!

20 comments:

  1. Love the look of the blue and white quilt, my favourite colours of course. Yes, I like to have a little something to stitch in the evening, especially when the husband is watching sport, it means I am there by I don't have to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your plan, but boy, oh boy, you will be busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which ever one you choose of an evening will bring great pleasure. I like your idea of alternating too! Kind of looking for a background to use for Benjamin Biggs. Awfully hard to resist!!
    Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the idea of having several hand projects to rotate through the evenings. Its a good enough reason for me to join in with the JT2 instead of following along. You will need a day a week to "prep" for your nightly activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing quilts you have planned to work on in 2014 ! What fun it will be to watch your progress !

    ReplyDelete
  6. You picked wonderful choices to work on this year! Can wait to see them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some really pretty projects to work on. I love handwork too. Nothing makes me happier than hand stitching a binding onto the back of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some really pretty projects to work on. I love handwork too. Nothing makes me happier than hand stitching a binding onto the back of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow....you will have a lot on your plate. I wish you luck in getting it all done. I have a friend who did dutch treat and after she was all finished with it, she embroidered around each piece. It was stunning. Sarah's revival in reds and creams....yum.... that will be gorgeous. I am still contemplating the Benjamin Biggs quilt. To talk myself into it, I would have to come up with a color combination that just calls my name. Yours again will be beautiful. I love wool, too. Haven't really done a quilt other than a table topper, but I collect wool. Does that count? Enjoy your journey. I will enjoy watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful quilts to work on during the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Doreen, I see you will be very busy 2014. I like the Dutch Treat, it looks so beautiful in batik. (I love batiks:-) "Benjamin" looks interesting, I did JT2 last year, and will assemble the blocks this year.
    I sure will enjoy watching all your beautiful work this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Doreen.
    All your new projects looks fantastic.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow...so many fantastic projects. I have been seriously considering joining in with the Ben Biggs quilt and have started downloading and saving the instructions. I also was considering purple and green with yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see some very ambitious and gorgeous projects int the works. I agree, sitting and stitching with your sweetie in the evenings is the best!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All great projects. I'm doing the B Biggs for applique and still working on my BTCT for hand quilting. I love doing that in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Mr. is getting a treat...his sweetie close by and watching the progress on these treasure up close! Your choices are beautiful Doreen. I look forward to watching them come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best wishes for you new job. I have joined JT2 too. Luv your colour choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post and looking forward to following! I'm about to follow suit - found my way back to my blog to write up a new year's quilting goals post...

    ReplyDelete
  19. bahahahaha :) "skilled" -- you are so cute. I believe "enthusiastic" is a better adjetive :) smooches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. you will be working on some very pretty things during the evenings.
    I do stitch in while watching tv too. Now I am working on some embroidery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...