Wednesday, September 25, 2013

October Sew Along details - quick project

Do you have a pretty border print fabric in your stash? The stripe and floral combinations always pull me in, but sewing these often tricky to match mitred borders to the edge of a quilt isn't one of my favorite projects.
I recently discovered a couple of fun table runner patterns using border print fabrics. These clever, exact match kaleidoscope type table runners look fantastic.

Just one catch, if your prints are not small repeats there can be some fabric waste as you drop-match/align your fabric rows in an effort to cut identical pieces. Well, thru experimentation, laziness and being cheap creative, I've decided that "Windswept" patterns look just as nice as a true kaleidoscope pattern design and a bit more unpredictable. (just my humble opinion of course)

In October, I will show you how to make a SUPER easy 16" hexagon shaped Table Mat. You will be able to make several of these from just 1 yard of a stripe & print border fabric.

here is another version I cut out using the same border print fabric:

We will cover my "NOT so fussy" technique, but you could always make a more perfect kaleidoscope version if you wish. If you are looking for perfection, then I'd like to recommend a free pattern link provided by Jinny Beyer found HERE.
Jinny shows you how to exact match your fabrics.

I also recommend the following great table runner pattern that uses border prints. It's called Easy Striped Table Runner by The Quilt Company.

I hope you decide to join me for Windswept, our free October sew-along. Each Wednesday during the month I will post an instructional tutorial. You will need 1 yard of a border print fabric and a 60 degree triangle ruler or a ruler with a 60 degree line thru it.

every quilt tells a story...

14 comments:

  1. How Gorgeous! I really like the second one pictured :-D How fun ! Count me in and I already have my 60 degree triangle ruler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aunty Reen, I cannot WAIT for October!! I am drooling all over your octagonal topper, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really great.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great seasonal project!! You are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness how you tempt us! I'm still drooling over your August fall finish! I will check in each Wednesday throughout October to see what it's all about and probably print off your instructions for future use (maybe Christmas?)... there's just to much else going on in my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous.Love your Fall fabrics.Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking pretty! Will look forward to seeing more creations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hexie table topper and could use one in both fall and Christmas fabrics...I may just have to join this one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great project! May have a border print squirreled away, will look after the weekend. Looking forward to Fall and October :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pretty. I don't have a single piece of fabric like that but I will be reading along to see how it is done.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...