Friday, September 27, 2013

2 finishes for September

Happy to say that I've managed to finish 2 projects on my list for September. The first one is the Hampton Ridge BOM quilt that I was working on as a shop sample. I enjoyed working on this quilt and love the more vibrant colors of these reproduction fabrics.

The mitred stripe border adds so much interest to the edges of the quilt and went together a lot easier than I had expected.

Here is a picture of the quilt top.
It's not on a flannel wall but hanging from a wire - which is why it looks a little "drapey". A good size, this quilt finished at 88" x 88".

Check this club program out at your local quilt shop. If they don't carry it you can find it HERE.

My 2nd finish is actually an older UFO. I designed the top nearly 2 years ago while recovering from rib surgery. The quilt is called Acorns & Oak Leaves and was sewn by hand using a method called Reverse Applique'. I machine stitched a simple bead border around the outside edges to add a little bit of structure to the design.

I'm ashamed to say that binding is NOT my favorite part of quilting which is why this piece was neglected for so long. Finally, I stitched the binding to the front of this quilt. I'm looking forward to hand tacking it to the back of the quilt today so I can display it the entire Autumn season.

I hope you've all had a happy & productive month of sewing as well!

every quilt tells a story...

23 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the Hampton Road quilt but alas, I can NOT start a new quilt. There's a backlog of projects already in line that cry for my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both lovely. I especially like the Acorns and Oak Leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful new quilts. I like very much the sampler. Is the applique one as big as the sampler?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 Amazing quilts !!!! I really like the Acorns & Oak leaves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both quilts are gorgeous! Love your border on the Ridge quilt, and that deep red is perfect for your acorn quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both quilts are gorgeous. I am glad you were able to meet your goal of finishing them....they truly deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work Doreen. I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved what you finished. The sampler will look wonderful on display as a store sample. Isn't funny how we let a project sit when we're so close to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work, I love both quilts. I like the border on Ridge quilt and the main background fabric, so gorgeous. I also like the deep red color in your Acorns and Oak leaves. Well done Doreen, two finishes for September and the month is not over yet, wish I could say the same thing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. both quilts are beautiful, well done on finishing the autumn quilt, love your border treatment's on the sampler

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both projects are fantastic.
    Have a nice weekend, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful finishes! I thought seriously about Hampton Ridge but I have so many BOMs that haven't been touched.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two exquisite finishes! Agree with you - the colors in the Hampton Ridge quilt are really exciting and the striped border is fabulous. Great job!! Enjoy your applique quilt - it is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Doreen...The quilts are just so lovely. The border on the Hampton really sets off the quilt. Pretty colours. Loving the second quilt in the cream and red...stunning look!
    Finally get back to a bit of normalcy here...
    Talk soon,
    Hugs, Nancy W.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work, it's so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vibrant is the best description of the fabric colors in Hampton Ridge, and I especially like the floral background fabric! Acorn and Oak Leaves is stunning... love the border you added!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, 2 finishes! Hooray. Love the BOM quilt and your Acorn and Oak Leaves is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. both quilts are so pretty. I really like the background fabric in the first.
    so glad to see you finally got the red and white bound. binding is one of my favorite parts of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The sampler caught my eye. Nice, nice, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Internet Users have very big Good News, Now you can earn with Just Share an add or picture on Facebook, Facebook is the Most popular Website in the World and you can make unlimited income with Just Facebook Posting Program.
    Genuines Works of Data Entry, Facebook Posting, Copy Pasting, Add Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plan and Much More Business Plans.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your Hampton Ridge quilt! I saw this a while back and it has inspired me - I'm thinking of doing my own BOM and putting the blocks in this setting. That way, I can use a lot of the small pieces of fabric I have in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A bit late, but congratulations on finishing your Hampton Ridge quilt! It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...