Thursday, August 1, 2013

My August sew-along project

Happy August Everyone!
This month during our sew along we will be making a Table runner or a Table square. (your choice)

For our previous 2 Pre-cut projects we used a Layer Cake (10" squares) and a Jelly Roll (2.5" strips x width of fabric).
I chose 5" charms for August and a much smaller project to make.
SCRAP BUSTERS are always welcome so pull out those stash bins.

The August sew along will begin the first Wednesday of the month - next week on August 7th.
Each Wednesday during August I will provide part of the instructions for making your quilt; just like I did in May & June.
However, this sew-long is going to be a little bit different.
I'm going to discuss and demonstrate a few techniques for creating this quilt pattern via Rotary cutting, templates and paper piecing. Once I've demonstrated these technique's you will choose the sewing method that works best for you.

Hexagon shapes are extremely popular right now.
I thought I'd come up with a fun and easy way to approach making a hexi quilt. The pattern I've created is called GEM COLLECTOR.
Assembly is straight forward machine sewing with NO inset (Y) seams or the need to stop and pivot your work. I would rate the skill level for this as: a confident beginner project.
I've arranged the square blocks 2 ways for you to see the pattern flow. Please note that these pieced squares have NOT been sewn together into rows yet, they are just photo cropped as a sample preview.

MATERIALS LIST:
If you are using a charm pack you will pull out the number of 5" squares indicated below.
If you are stash busting you will cut your print fabrics into 4-1/2" x 5" rectangles for traditional piecing OR 5" squares if you choose to paper piece the blocks.


For a 16" x 36" Table Runner you will need a total of 32 charm squares + 2/3 yard of background fabric and 1/4 yard of binding fabric.

For a 27" x 28" Table Square (without optional borders) you will need 1 charm pack (a total of 42 squares)+1 yard of background fabric and 1/4 yard of binding fabric.

ADDITIONAL TOOLS:
In addition to the standard sewing supplies I recommend the following rulers/notions - a 6" square ruler, an Add-a-Quarter ruler (optional for paper piecing) and a 60 degree triangle ruler or a cutting mat with a 60 degree line on it.

There will be a Linky tool each week for you to post pictures and add your blog link so others can pop in for a visit. Feel free to grab the Sew Along button shown above and add it to your site. (just right click and copy it) Here is the link you will add to it when you create your button: http://auntreensplace.blogspot.com/

Wishing you all a Happy & Productive August!

12 comments:

  1. I am sew in! Perfect, I was just pulling fabrics yesterday to start some Hexies! Yea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in ! I would love to make a hexies table square ! I have never made hexies before

    How fun !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fantastic project! I am dying to see how you make hexies quilt and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks interesting. Thank you. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABULOUS...'Assembly is straight forward machine sewing with NO inset (Y) seam'. MUSIC to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another awesome project and looks very fun.Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doreen, this sounds very interesting. Look forward to the first set of instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fascinated by this. I look forward to seeing your techniques. I am going to give this one a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy Doreen...I wasn't supposed to start another thing until I did some UFO busting. But this looks very interesting...just like Willow Weave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...we sure do think alike! I am working on a gift quilt for a friend that will look almost identical to this! My method is different, but the look is almost the same as yours. I am waiting on a few more blocks and will be doing a post about it after I give it to her. It was so easy to make. I know everyone will enjoy sewing along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Generous to give it away free for the first week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the looks of this and the technique for hexagons looks easy to master. I'll have to save it for a later time, though, as I am "booked solid" in August. I'll be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...