Friday, May 24, 2013

Dear Jane news - Prayers & Love for Brenda

As a quilter I can honestly say that NO quilt has ever affected me as profoundly as the Jane Stickle quilt - completed back in 1863.
And I have Brenda Papadakis to thank for introducing me to this amazing quilt and it's skillfully talented quilter.
Completing this quilt was not just a feat of accomplishment for me - it was also a journey of discipline and self discovery.

All this made possible thru a book of patterns that Brenda published 17 years ago titled DEAR JANE.
Since it's origination - Dear Jane has been embraced by quilters around the world and this year there have been numerous global celebrations and events honoring the 150th Anniversary of the original Jane Stickle quilt.

Last night, Brenda's beloved husband passed away. It is with much love and admiration for Brenda and appreciation to her selfless dedication to preserving our quilting past that I ask you to please keep her and her family in your hearts and prayers during this very difficult time of loss!

every quilt tells a story....

6 comments:

  1. Oh Doreen...my thoughts and prayers to Brenda and her family. I agree...her dedication to this quilt in particular has given us all who love Dear Jane a gift that we can make and cherish forever.

    I had the pleasure of speaking with her a couple of years ago...she was so kind and nice to me...

    Have a wonderful holiday weekend.
    Hugs, Nancy W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Doreen for letting us know!! So sad. During our Nantes exhibition, because she couldn't be there, she sent us a video and I had the pleasure to meet her. A lovely personality!
    My thoughts and prayers will be for her and family.
    Hugs. Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers are sent!!! What a legacy!

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughts are with Brenda, thankyou for letting us know!! She certainly has given us a wonderful legacy of honouring Jane Stickle, my journey of discovery has yet to begin, I don't know why I keep putting it off, I mean, it is only one block at a time right! This reminds us that life is short......very sad for her and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing about Brenda's husband. I will certainly keep her and her family in my prayers.

    I met Brenda soon after she wrote the book. She came to my quilt guild and did a two day workshop. Then she came and spent the weekend with us at a hotel. We had a blast!
    Brenda definitely has a passion.
    Right now I am looking at the two little blocks I made during our workshop. :) I have them under the needles of a couple of toy sewing machines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a touching tribute. I too made a "jane" and have been thinking of Brenda. You shared such nice words about her, and I too am thinking of her. It's amazing how these stitches connect us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...