Sunday, April 21, 2013

Scrap Basket Sunday

Some of you may have noticed the new button added to my sidebar last week. I've decided to link up with Kim for Scrap Basket Sundays.

Hard to tell in the picture above, but the background of this star block has a very pretty yet subtle pattern to it.

Another new project???? Well, yes and no. I am using up all of the scraps left over from my Civil War Dear Jane blocks to make these star blocks. Many of the fabrics for this quilt (still in progress) are extremely precious to me. They were given to me by special friends, most of whom sent fabric, emotional support and love while I was dealing with the toughest part of my cancer recovery a few years ago.

I have a couple more blocks prepped for English Paper piecing. Once I finish these I think I'm going to switch to traditional hand piecing with freezer paper templates. Same cutting process but less basting involved.

And now that I've finished the Modern Dear Jane that I created for teaching, I'm ready to get back to my special Dear Jane quilt.

every quilt tells a story....

16 comments:

  1. That's going to make a very pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Star.

    Have a nice day, Manuela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use your leftover fabric from your Civil War DJ ! Just love the block :-D Looking forward to watching your progress on your Special DJ quilt !

    Congratulations again on finishing your Modern DJ !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing this project come together. Going to make for a beautiful quilt. I'm currently working on EPP Hexies.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea - such a pretty block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very pretty fabrics you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Are you going to make a mini quilt or what?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely block. Your fabric color i beautiful. Happy scrappy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this block Doreen, I have a quilt started using the metal templates and using traditional hand piecing. I too am using up civil war scraps! We would be good buddies I'm sure if we lived near each other. Did you post the finish of your Modern Jane? I must have missed it and must go check! Congrats!! I know you are excited to have her done? How will it be quilted?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be fun to watch your progress with the star blocks. Wonderful fabrics in the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the star pattern. The blocks are going to make a wonderful design. It's nice to handwork once in awhile. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful way to use scraps of fabric that have such deep meaning! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your stars and it is always good to have a hand project in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woohoo!! Look at that Jane chart all filled in. I can't wait for mine to get there, too. That's a really gorgeous star block. Hey - how do you use the freezer paper for such work?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a special memory quilt that will be. You will e able to look at each piece ans see the kindness of friends.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...