Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Class project for 2013

On the heels of "Dear Jane", I was looking for something a bit special for my 2013 teaching project.

I've admired the applique' quilts of Kim McLean for some time now.
When I first saw this particular pattern of hers 6 months ago - it was "love at first site".
Once I received the pattern I discovered that the quilt is made in rows/borders using very simple shapes repeated over and again. This makes the quilt look far more intricate and complicated than the actual assembly process.
My approach will be to teach easy speed preparation techniques to make all the turned edge applique' shapes. From there - students can choose whether to applique' by HAND or MACHINE (using a method I refer to as heirloom machine applique').

What excites me most about this project is that quilters choose whatever fabrics they like to make this quilt. I can't wait to see all the variations!
I made a few blocks from 2 very different fabric lines for sample display.
(I'll be using the Double Chocolat collection for my teaching sample)

Here is a close up of the block I made using turned edge heirloom machine applique'.

Like I mentioned... people aren't obligated to stick with these fabrics. In fact, for my own personal quilt just look at the fabrics I've chosen:

Yep...I'm going with a dark brown chestnut background for my quilt and purchased Moda's Cinnamon Spice collection by Blackbird designs for all the applique' work.
Am I brave or what????? (gulp)


I am thinking about adding a few old...old moda prints and homespuns into the mix and perhaps even a few batiks.

I'll be sure to post updates on how this project and our quilts turn out.

every quilt tells a story...

16 comments:

  1. This will be a wonderful project for 2013! It's a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a beautiful quilt! I hope you continue to show pics of your progress and I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love it. You'll have a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be still my heart I think I am IN LOVE !!! Excuse me while I drool over all of those gorgeous fabrics ! Looking forward to seeing your progress on this quilt PLEASE post pictures :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am anxious to see your quilt. I love the idea of the dark chocolate for the background. It is going to be stunning.....like all of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that quilt is stunning. your fabric picks are super but I do like that double chocolat. have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous! I'm looking forward to seeing your chocolate version. :) Too bad Quilter's Corner is a little far from Colorado! I'm very interested in this heirloom machine applique you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness! This is going to be a gorgeous quilt. I like your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY!!! yes please share your progress, done in double choc is going to be wonderful I may even have to order a bom :) keep sharing
    I love Kim's patterns don't you , no copying just open the pattern and start working!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Doreen..this is going to be another beauty!! Your color choices are so lovely...I love the pattern. Kim's patterns are so colorful and lively.

    I am also in awe of your Dear Jane from the previous post...so much work!!

    Hope your move went well and that you are feeling more settled now.
    Take care...Big Hugs,
    Nancy W.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous choice of fabrics - love the idea of that chocolate!! Looking forward to watching this unfold. Have admire Kim's patterns and was not aware that they could be assembled in that manner

    ReplyDelete
  12. I checked and I'm too far away to come for your class! I love Kim McLean patterns. I have one of hers started that is in a Kaffe book, and I am starting Stars and Sprigs along with a friend as sort of a BOM this year. Love the fabrics, and I want to see updates as you do this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous project! An exquisite quilt, applique continues to scare me, so I'll watch by the sidelines, wish you were closer, I'd love to go to one of your classes!!! You are brave (gulp LOL!), look forward to seeing you and your class' progress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad I checked in to see what you are up to Doreen! I gather that you have moved since Midlothian is quite a distance from where I remember you were living. Actually it is not all that far from where my baby sister lives in Dewitt, and I recognized the name of the quilt shop you said you were going to be teaching at since we have been there before! I emailed her your blog address to check out the class. Applique is one thing I have always wished I could learn, but I know I would have to be taught by the "hands on" approach ~ I have felt that I just couldn't "get" the written directions. Looks like an awesome project ~ enjoy!

    Hugs,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a good choice of fabric that you are using. Your sample block, did you use cotton thread to match or the nylon invisible thread?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...