Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Heirloom Machine Applique'

This technique is also referred to as Invisible Machine Applique'.

I'm teaching a workshop on this form of applique' at Quilter's Corner in August. This block is one of several "sample" pieces I've made for show & tell. What I love about this method of machine applique' is that it doesn't involve raw edges or fusible web. It has the look and feel of needle turn applique'. I love to do hand applique' work - but there are only so many hours in a day.

During August and September, I will begin sharing with you a series of BOM applique' projects that I've commmitted to thru the end of 2013. 2 of these projects will be hand applique' work and 2 will be sewn via heirloom Machine Applique'. It will be fun to see if you can tell which method I used in each quilt.

On to another topic: Here are the Easy Peasy T Blocks I've made for Month #3 of our Vintage Rouge Sew-along. There are 20 T Blocks to make this month for the quilt.

Happy Quilting!

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous applique flower you are growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! It looks so good - I sure wish VA wasn't so far away - I'd be at your class, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely applique flower. good teaching example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty sample. never tried that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This applique project looks just gorgeous!!! I'm not familiar with this method!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, those are definitely invisible stitches, because I can't see them! I love that little daisy. I can see a whole quilt of them. You are one Energizer bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, look forward to seeing the future blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your machine applique looks perfect! Must pick your brain someday on how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with this applique block. Looking forward to learning your Invisible Machine Applique method !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not familiar with this method either. It is gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Doreen...
    I just love your appliqué block. The colors are so pretty and soft. I did this technique many years ago when first learning to quilt back in the early 1980's.
    I love handwork...and so I haven't done it for a long time. It is definitely a little faster.
    Unrelated...did you mark your vintage rouge blocks for quilting before or after sewing the quilt top? I am at that point now...and think it might be easier before?

    Have a wonderful week(end).
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, Doreen!

    I will have to try this!

    Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your applique technique gives a very good hand stitched look. I look forward to seeing more of your blocks.

    ReplyDelete