Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

New Applique' Project


I Love this book and have admired 2 of the quilt projects inside for quite some time.
When I saw the new Bridgeport fabric collection by Jo Morton I knew it was time to begin my Evening Blooms quilt. I'll be making it slightly different from the one in the book (shown below)

I'm not good at scrappy unless it's "organized" lol. I'm opting for a simpler scallop border instead of the dresden border. As you can see in the next picture - my background choices for this quilt are MUCH more subtle too:

These are the Red/Black/Brown fabrics I've chosen from the collection:

I'm making a couple of Shop Sample blocks from this pattern using a method called Invisible Machine applique'. My dear friend Sue has agreed to make this quilt and will be using this same method of machine applique'.

I'm still on the fence and leaning toward completing my own blocks by hand. The pieces are so big & easy to turn that they shouldn't take a lot of time to complete.

every quilt tells a story...

17 comments:

  1. I too prefer organized scrappy quilts. I think they are my favorite especially when applique is involved. Love this book and quilt. Your quilt will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful applique quilt, like your fabric choices. That is the first time I have it called organized scraps------I like that, think that must be what I am. I just don't a bit of everything all put into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful pattern you have chosen...and the fabrics are excellent....It will be a keepsake for sure!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this and it is gorgeous! I love your fabrics you have chosen. I just may need to buy the book ...like I need another project :)
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is going to be gorgeous in Bridgeport! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is going to be yummy! Great fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely fabrics!! I love the background choices!! It will really set off the browns and reds!!! So wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your fabric selection for that gorgeous quilt! I made one quilt called Country Charm from that book - not the one you're going to make., and enjoyed that a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt pictured will look absolutely gorgeous with your fabric choices! Looking forward to seeing the work in progress and finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the turkey reds! Your background selections will really set them off with the browns and blacks. It will be fun to watch your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous quilt and such delicious fabrics, this is going to be just lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will be a gorgeous quilt, Doreen! The palette you chose is both rich and warm! I'll be interested to see invisible machine applique!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice choice in fabrics. It will be beautiful. Rich colors! Looking forward to seeing the how it turns out when complete.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh can't wait to watch your progress, keep us posted!
    I have loved this quilt too and wondered what fabric to use to make it too, someday!
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doreen, your fabric looks beautiful, I'm sure your quilt will be absolutely gorgeous.
    Looking forward seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pattern and your fabric choice is beautiful....appliqué is a favorite of mine....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt too, and I would change the border also. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete