Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

A January Finish


Remember I said that I was going to add a little SPIN to these Redwork Calendar Girl blocks? Well here we are! Rather than sew the blocks with simple sashings my friend - Sue & I are going to make the redwork months the center of "fancier" blocks. Each month I will come up with a variation of a block design to make it work with the 9" Redwork center. For January I chose to improvise on a block called BROKEN WHEEL. Fitting I thought as wagon wheels don't work so well in snow. (grin)

The block now finishes at 15". I'm hoping that a layer cake of Rouenneries Deux and a quarter yard of tea dyed muslin will be enough to block frame all 12 of these Calendar Girls. Happy to say that January is finally finished!

The original 1930's quilt looked like this one below. You can get the pattern for it at Nana's Needlework ... HERE.



every quilt tells a story....

6 comments:

  1. She is just adorable Doreen and fun to make ! These fabrics are just perfect !

    I see you have a " Modern Day Jane " chart pictured on your sidebar . Looking forward to watching your progress on that DJ too .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you've finished off the redwork block, kind of makes it look like a little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you have done with that block, and your choice of fabric is perfect! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doreen, I really love how you framed this adorable Redwork block. This will be a beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see the next one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Doreen...I just love what you are doing with the blocks. So creative! It is going to be a lovely piece of art!

    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Redwork and this is just the cutest block! The idea of tea dyed muslin is perfect, too! I look forward to seeing your blocks each month!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete