Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Remembrance quilt


I finished this Red & Green quilt the week before Christmas - last year. I unpacked it this morning and hung it on the quilt rack in my living room.
looking at the photo now - I should have ironed it first...lol

One of the names for this pattern is called Broken Star.
I purchased the fabrics and cut them all out 4 years ago.
At the time I was still grieving the loss of my father who passed away a few weeks before Christmas the previous year. The center star made me think of our family gathering around the tree on Christmas day and the broken/fractured star points - family members watching over us in heaven.
The quilt measures 48" square with 512 small diamond pieces that make up the star components. Because of my tardiness to complete this for Christmas - I machine quilted it myself.



And here is a tiny doll quilt that I am currently working on. Also a Remembrance quilt that I will most likely title Colonial Rose. It measures 13" square and is completely hand pieced. I still need to come up with a quilting design for the finish. NO idea's yet!

every Quilt tells a story...

8 comments:

  1. Doreen your Broken Star is beautiful. I love that pattern. It is always nice to unpack the Christmas thing every year, it brings back memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story that goes with your star quilt. The light fabric in the star makes it appear to sparkle. I hope your holidays are very happy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my father at this time of year also. He has been gone 10 years now, but his birthday is Dec. 19th. Memories of him are the strongest during the holidays! Love your remembrance of your father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely broken star quilt, it really does sparkle. Also doll quilt is neat, it has an Amish look, and looks great in the solid colors. Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doreen...What a beautiful quilt! And such a heartfelt story...This quilt will always have special meaning to you and your family.

    I just love the little quilt...so sweet and pretty.

    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that is a stunning quilt. that is one pattern I will never try. Love your little one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous quilt Red & Green quilt is! And how special it comes with your family story... And I love your doll quilt "Colonial Rose". It looks so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a AMAZING quilt Doreen! Wow all of those little pieces. What a labor of LOVE ! Your Doll quilt is PRECIOUS !
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete