Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

My first Clamshell Club post!


First of all I apologize for my absence in blogland the past few weeks!
A couple of unexpected events - including an eye injury have kept me away from the computer.

This past month I joined the Clamshell Club! The Club was founded in June by Jossie of Cybele's Patch
It's a FREE membership for those wanting to begin and/or learn about creating a Clamshell quilt.
The Clamshell pattern is one that I've always loved. Fascinated by this complex shaped single design - I've also been equally intimidated to ever attempt this pattern.
Now that a wonderful club has formed in homage to the Clamshell - I'm giving it a try!

Starting my first month in the club, the hardest thing was deciding on what fabrics to use. I was torn between my long standing love of 1930's prints and my new affection for fabrics designed by Joanna of Fig Tree & Co! I decided to go with Fig Tree and ordered 4 charm packs of the Fresh Cotton collection. I also purchased Moda white muslin for the alternate clamshells/background.

I printed the clamshell template from one of my FAVORITE software programs - called BlockBase. (Electric Quilt Co) I printed the pattern pieces out on freezer paper. After cutting away the paper seam allowance on the top curved section - I ironed them to the back of my 5" fabric charms. Then I cut some of the pieces out (along with a quarter inch fabric allowance across the top curved sections.

This is as far as I've gotten. Next month I will cut out some of the white clamshells and decide on what method I will use for basting and assembling this pattern. It will take me at least a year to complete this quilt - as I'm striving to have my Dear Jane quilt completed within the next 7 months.

every Quilt tells a story...

21 comments:

  1. A great start already! The fabrics are lovely and I can't wait to see the first shells joined together. I really enjoy reading about all the first attempts. If you need help ask any member of the club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great choice of fabrics for your clamshells! They are addictive to stitch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your choice of fabric , I just LOVE Fig Tree fabric. This is going to be a GORGEOUS quilt ! Good for you starting such a intimidating quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loveley fabrics, looking forward to see your clamshells!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do great minds think alike? I am using some of the same fabrics in my clamshell quilt. I will be interested to see how it looks with the white muslin clams--mine is all prints. Can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's going to be so lovely in those Fig Tree fabrics! Looking forward to next month's post to see how well they look assembled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great start. Your fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are off to an excellent start with your clamshells and I LOVE the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Reen, this is going to be a beautiful quilt... you've made great progress in the preparation so far...and the fabrics are stunning.
    Looking forward to seeing and sharing in your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the Clammer-girls, Doreen!
    How exciting to have you join us. I am so excited about your fabric selection I am nearly drooling. I think you are off to a great start and will have the advantage of learning from our mistakes. Starting was the hardest part, so don't give up and know we are here for you,
    Have fun!
    :)
    Greetings from faraway Cyprus
    Valentina

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be greatnyou will use very lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun new project! Your fabric selections are lovely. I look forward to seeing your progress on your new " fun" adventure with making clamshells!
    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I have not been in touch. Over fifty blocks! Wow!! Have you seen Inklingo? The clamshell download prints the shape on the material, so that you do not need templates or papers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - Good for you - starting Clam Shells. Your fabric look beautiful, I'm looking forward to the end of the month. I have the pattern for the Clamshells but not the courage yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful fabric selection Doreen & with all that preparation you're well on the way to start stitching. Look forward to the next update. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sure like to keep busy Doreen, I have always liked the look of Clamshell quilts, but I think I will admire from afar as I have too many ufo's to even think about starting something else.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to hear about your eye injury -- I imagine that's quite a setback for a quilter. I do hope your eye is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Doreen, I love the range of fabric you have chosen and I am looking forward to watching your quilt grow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH, good for you. I have wanted to make a clamshell quilt. I think it is fascinating and fun. Maybe one day. For now I will just watch your progress. Great fabrics.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Doreen,
    You have been selected to receive the Sunshine Award.
    Please check my blog. I was nominated by Granny Quilts.
    Congratulations and I hope you have fun with this.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete