Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

APPLE CIDER..remedies & beauty tips



This is what my apple tree looked like back in early August.
Now at the height of apple season here on the East coast, I thought it would be a good time to share a few tried & true home remedies using all natural or organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

For Pets: dry skin afflicts animals as well as humans during the fall & winter seasons. Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar & distilled water in a spray bottle & mist your dogs skin & fur once a week for itch relief & coat shine.
For hot spots (without open sores) spray full strength cider vinegar on the problem area. If your pet has sores use the 50/50 water, cider solution, it will help the skin heal while conditioning the skin.

For People: As a bath treatment - toss a cup of the cider vinegar into your bath water. It will soften your skin and help clean your tub as it goes down the drain.

As a weekly treatment to remove shampoo/conditioner build up & create shine - mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to 1 cup warm water. Rinse this thru your hair after shampooing.

For a daily creme rinse & detangling substitute...here is Aunt Reen's favorite recipe.... Mix 2 tablespoons of ACV with 1/2 teaspoon of jojoba oil or olive oil and 2 cups of warm water. Place in a spray bottle - shake well and mist onto hair after shampooing. Allow to soak into hair for several minutes before rinsing.
To make this even more luxurious try adding a few drops of essential oil to the rinse such as lavender,rosemary, peppermint or sage.

For dandruff - mix 1 cup vinegar with 1 quart of warm water. Use as a leave in scalp/hair rinse after shampooing. (the smell dissipates as your hair drys).

4 comments:

  1. Wow Doreen I will have to give that a try for my Bella, she suffers from dermatitis.
    Thanks for great tips we can all make ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your natural remedies and will have to take down the one for Hot Spots ..My girlies do get them ever so often ..and anything to help them relieves my heart. I also like the one for re-conditioning your hair and making it shine ..I'm definitely going to try that one ..I could use some shine..

    Thanks Doreen !!!

    Hugs ..Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly & Sara - you are very welcome!
    I'm hoping to convince people that we can all afford to live green and live well.

    I'm sure your dogs will appreciate this natural Soothe & Shine spritzer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Doreen, I tend to suffer from all of your ailments mentioned.

    ReplyDelete